Saturday, May 9, 2009

Its not too Late!!!

This is the weekend if you are going to start a garden do it now! I have made the mistake of getting mine in late and it really does make a difference to get it in as early as possible.
My husband just tilled a large spot for ours. We are planting this year corn, green beans, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, letus, spinach, green onions, peppers, jalapenos, and herbs. I know it sounds like a lot but we are going to use all of it! I will can green beans, tomatoes, pickles, salsa, and a few other things. I will freeze corn, squash, & peppers. I will have about $100 into my garden when it is all said (with renting the tiller, seeds and plant starts) and done but I am going to produce way more than that. I am going to keep track pound for pound this year and see how much I really save.
If you don't have a large space for a garden consider a few potted tomatoes or plant it in your landscape. I have been doing that for years.
This year we asked the builder that owned the empty lot behind us if we could plant the garden back there and he was more than willing to let us use the space. He was happy that it could be of some use to someone. It never hurts to ask in this case it paid off. Happy Gardening! What are you planting?

1 comment:

  1. It is not just about how much you save but for us it is the family time spent working in it.

    ReplyDelete